Being West Bengal’s most popular sea resort and tourist spot, it is located south west of Calcutta. In addition, it is described as the ‘Brighton of the East’, and is a perfect spot to spend a vacation. Digha Beach is a low gradient shallow sand beach with gentle waves that extends 7 kms in length. The scenic beauty of this place is charming and luring. It is girdled with casuarina plantations along the coast that enhances the beauty of this place. Apart from beautifying the sands, these trees also aid in reducing the erosion on the dunes.
Moreover, you can enjoy alluring views of the sun at this beach. Both sunsets and sunrises reflect off the salty waters of the Bay of Bengal and are apparently painted straight out of an artist’s easel. Moreover, the sea at Digha is calm and shallow for about a mile from the beach making it quite safe for swimming.
Nevertheless, let’s learn in detail about this beach resort and other things you can do nearby this paradise.
Best Time To Visit Digha Beach
The best time to visit Digha is October, November, December, January and February. Since this is the peak season, expect a little crowd during this time. In addition, the March-June period experiences moderate weather.
In peak season the weather is pleasant and sunny, whereas in the off-season the weather is unpredictable, with high humidity. Weather in the moderate season is hot and humid. During the festival season (Durga Puja) a large number of tourists flock to Old Digha Sea Beach West Bengal. The festivities are usually celebrated in the months of February, and September till October. So, if you are fond of bustling streets and localities, choose this time of the year to travel.
If your travel seems incomplete without getting into some fun activities then you will love to get indulged in the beaches, water sports and Durga Puja celebrations. In moderate seasons you can get an escape from the crowds and avail heavy off-season discounts.
How To Reach
Nearest airport to Digha is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata. Digha is well connected by road and rail network with Kolkata.
Nearest railhead is Digha railway station. There are frequent trains (Local or Express) available from Howrah station to Digha.
Digha is well connected via road with Kolkata. One can take a bus from Esplanade, Howrah, Belgharia etc. or can go by car/cab through NH-6 till Kolaghat and then on NH-41 to reach Digha.
Places To Stay At Digha Beach
- Cygnett Inn Sea View-Cygnett Inn Sea View offers air-conditioned rooms in Digha. Among the facilities of this property are a restaurant, a 24-hour front desk and room service, along with free WiFi throughout the property. Guests at this hotel can enjoy a buffet breakfast, chill out at the pool, and admire the mesmerizing views of the surrounding landscape.
Sweet Dream Beach Resort–Facing the beachfront in Mandarmoni, it is one of the most stayed hotels in Digha near Sea Beach. It features a garden and a terrace. Among the facilities of this property are a restaurant, a 24-hour front desk and room service, along with free WiFi. There is free private parking and the property provides paid airport shuttle service for the tourists. Guests here can devour an à la carte or an Asian breakfast.
Viceroy Beach and Spa Resort–Viceroy Beach And Spa Resort features a restaurant, outdoor swimming pool, a bar and shared lounge in Mandarmoni. This 4-star resort also offers a garden sitting area for visitors to enjoy their time while enjoying the view. The property has a 24-hour front desk, airport transportation, room service and free WiFi. Continental and buffet breakfast options are available each morning at this hotel.
Anjana Palace–Located near Digha Beach, Anjana Palace offers top-class accommodations in Digha and houses a restaurant, a shared lounge and terrace. This 3-star hotel offers a 24-hour front desk and room service. At the hotel, all rooms come with a balcony, a private bathroom, a flat-screen TV, and are equipped with a seating area. Guests at the accommodation can devour a vegetarian breakfast.
Hindustan Inn- Facing the beachfront, this opulent resort offers 3-star accommodations in Mandarmoni and features a restaurant, garden and private beach area. It also offers room service and a complimentary buffet breakfast for all the visitors.
Places To Visit At Digha
- Marine Station/Aquarium of Zoological Survey of India– Marine aquarium cum regional center is a major tourist attraction near Old Digha Sea Beach, West Bengal. It has the largest inbuilt aquarium in India. The aquarium has three kinds of creatures: species of conservative importance, ‘local and curious’ species and freshwater species. These species include sea anemones, lobsters, sharks, rays, butterfly fishes, sea snakes, horseshoe crabs and a bunch of other rare organisms.
- Amarabati Park– Among the several tourist places in Digha, is this verdant and well-maintained park in the midst of this seaside town, ideal for those looking for serenity. The park boasts lush green lawns with diverse seasonal blooms dotting the borders of the small lake in the middle of Amarabati Park. The ropeway offers stunning views of New Digha. Moreover, you can spend a day picnicking here with loved ones, take a walk around, and enjoy a boat ride admiring the vistas.
- New Digha Beach– One of the most famous beaches in this city is the New Digha beach. Lying about 2 kilometers away from the Old Digha beach, this destination is a man-made attraction. The soft sands of this beach makes up for a lovely weekend getaway. Tucked away in southern West Bengal, this destination is a quaint holiday spot to spend time in the tranquil lap of nature.
- Udaipur Beach– The Udaipur Beach in Digha is one of most pristine and exquisite sea beaches in India. This unexplored ‘virgin sea beach’ is located on the border of Orissa and is nestled between New Digha and Talsari. Being 3 kilometers away from the Digha station, the lonely beach is far away from the city’s bustle. The place is highly famous for its scenic beauty, and people from all parts of the world visit the beach to capture these picturesque views in their sight forever.
- Digha Gate– An entrance to the small coastal town, this gateway was constructed on the National Highway 116B in Digha, close to the Bay of Bengal.
Further, the grand structure has become popular for its design and attracts tons of people here. It is shaped like a fishing boat as a tribute to all the fishermen in the region, and is painted white and blue which further adds to the overall splendor. A sight to behold, Digha Gate looks even more beautiful when it lights up during the night.
That was all about the most breathtaking Digha beach of West Bengal. If you wish to witness the festivities and enlightening celebrations of Durga Puja, then visit here in October. Plus, you can stay at one of the hotels mentioned above and make your vacation even more worthwhile. Lastly, make sure to stroll across all the beaches and other attractions located nearby this beach resort.